October 9, 2011

Dehydrating Fruit

First, let me say I LOVE my dehydrator!  This is my second harvest season with a dehydrator and it has been a big hit.  It is great to have another avenue for putting up all the fruit that seems to be coming out of our ears each fall!  I'm amazed by how many things you can actually dehydrate, but so far I have only tried a few things that we've needed preserved.  This post will share what has worked the best for us.

We had a lot of blackberries, peaches and raspberries this year, so fruit leather was the way to go.  It is so easy, not to mention yummy!


Once the fruit has been washed and any pits or bad spots removed, put the fruit in a blender with honey and lemon juice if desired.  I did use lemon juice with the peaches and some honey with all.  I do not remove the peach skins as my blender is able to puree the skins as well as the fruit.

4-5 c. blended fruit
1-2 T. honey
optional for added sweetness
1-2 tsp. lemon juice
optional to keep peaches from browning--not needed for berries


Pour the fruit puree 1/8" thick onto your dehydrator trays.  The more consistent you keep the thickness, the more evenly the fruit leather will dry.  Dehydrate at 140 degrees for several hours.  Just check on it periodically and you'll know it is done when you are able to peel it off the dehydrator sheets or trays.  If you leave it too long, it will become brittle.  The peach has more of a tendency to become brittle than the berries, especially on the edges.  Brittle pieces are still tasty and my kids had no problem eating those since they didn't roll up well for storage.  Use a pizza cutter to cut the sheets of fruit leather into serving size pieces.  Each piece can then be placed on plastic wrap and rolled up.  Store in an air-tight container.  They will keep for a year if kept in the freezer. 
 
Apples need to be made into applesauce before drying as fruit leather, so I dehydrated apple slices instead.  This was much easier, especially since I used an apple corer and peeler.  I've heard people complain that their apple corer and peelers don't work well.  I think mine works great as long as the apples are firm.  Mine is from Back to Basics.  After the apples are in slices, I sprinkle them with Fruit Fresh so they won't brown.  You can also use lemon juice.  Lay the apple slices on the dehydrator racks and dry at 140 degrees until leathery and dry to the touch.  Store in an air-tight container.  They will store for 6-9 months in a cool, dark place and even longer if kept in the freezer.

Apples don't need anything extra, but it is fun to dry a batch or two with cinnamon or Jell-O.  For cinnamon apples, simply sprinkle the apple slices with a little cinnamon before drying. 


For dried apples that basically taste like candy, coat the apple slices with Jell-O powder before drying.  You can do this by either stirring the apples and Jell-O together in a bowl or shaking them together in a gallon Ziploc bag.  Jell-O covered apples take longer to dry than plain or cinnamon apples.  Any flavor Jell-O works.  So far we've tried and had success with strawberry and raspberry flavored Jell-O.



My kids can't seem to get enough of the fruit leather and dried fruit.  The dehydrated fruit works great in their school sack lunches or as a snack.  The only problem I have is trying to keep the kids from eating the dried fruit while we still have so much fresh fruit that needs eaten!

*****
What do you dehydrate?  What tips do you have?  Please share!

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are great. I hope our apples do better next year so I can try using your Jello-O suggestion.

    I always dehydrate peppers each year before the first frost to the garden. They are extremely easy to do and don't require any preparation before dehydrating except removing the seeds and chopping in the food processor. (It is advisable to wear disposable utility gloves when preparing jalapeno or Anaheim peppers. Years ago I learned this the hard way when working with a large bag of jalapeno peppers without wearing the gloves and experienced the burning sensation for several hours afterward.) Cold storage of dried peppers retains better color and pungency, so I put the dehydrated peppers into freezer bags labeled with the variety and keep in the freezer. I also like to put fresh chopped bell peppers directly in ice cube trays to freeze and then transfer the frozen cubes to freezer bags; but most of my Anaheim, jalapeno, salsa, and banana peppers I dehydrate before storing in the freezer to save on freezer space.

    It is nice to have these peppers available for many different recipes. We especially like Mexican food, and a family favorite is green chili enchilada.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts as we develop self-reliance together!